And how to overcome them.
Do you feel stuck? You’re not alone. It can take months or years to finally make a change at work. Based on my work with 100s of clients, I’ve put together a list of some of the most common barriers I see that hold people back and some ideas for breaking free.
1. Lack of Time: “I’m too busy” really translates to “this isn’t a priority”. Use common time management hacks like automation and delegation (at work and in your personal life) to find the time you need to make it a priority.
2. Money: The golden handcuffs – when you feel comfortable enough with your salary and worry that you will lose your financial stability. Plan ahead or speak with a financial advisor to make decisions on financial facts, not feelings or worries.
3. Energy: Your current job is sucking the life out of you and you don’t have the energy to make a change. Work on setting boundaries that make sense. Pay attention to the worst part of your day and talk to your boss about mitigating that.
4. Skill/Knowledge Gap: You don’t have the skills to do the job you want. Do research, take a course, job shadow.
5. Lack of Direction: You’re paralyzed by choice. Undertake self-discovery to find out what you really want: interests, skills, values, motivation, preferences, personality style. There are many clues to help you make the right choice.
6. Fear: Of the unknown; Of failure; imposter syndrome. All very real feelings and all conquerable with courage and support.
What’s keeping you stuck? If you’re interested in exploring more, check out my coaching offerings here.